Accelerating Patient-Centric Care in Pharmacy and Beyond
About Carly Rodriguez
Carly Rodriguez is Pharmacy Director at Moda Health where she provides strategic leadership for clinical initiatives, operations, innovation, and the integration of medication management across pharmacy and medical benefits.
Her areas of expertise include formulary management, cost savings, and utilization management strategies, specialty drug management, benefit design, and medical pharmacy. She has presented to a variety of audiences on important topics in managed care, such as specialty pharmacy, medical pharmacy, gene and cell therapies, data integration, the opioid epidemic, and trend management.
Carly earned her PharmD from the University of Washington and resides in Oregon with her husband, five-year-old son, and twin three-year-old daughters.
Things You’ll Learn
- Healthcare needs to understand that we have consumers and consumers have demands and we have to meet those demands.
- Sometimes the most beneficial thing that can be done to benefit somebody’s health is not about getting medication but rather about food security or just getting a doctor’s appointment.
- Social determinants of health have been overlooked as far as barriers to accessing appropriate health care.
- Digital therapeutics is more about thinking behavior modification and other active measures that can be taken to combat the downstream effects of chronic or acute conditions beyond the concept of taking a pill.
- Pharmacy has always been a fee-for-service kind of transaction, and now we’re starting to move towards pay-for-performance.
- Much of healthcare hinges upon having better data.
- The biggest challenge the industry faces is the balance between innovation and affordability.
- Health care should be personalized, but it’s a heavy resource investment.
- Meet patients where they are and deliver innovations that they need and can use.
- Innovations in pharmacy and healthcare are only as good as their uptake. So the approach to any new innovation has to be patient or consumer-centric to provide a tangible benefit to stakeholders in order to influence behavior.